local | state | federal

Local Officials:

The project may be subject to local ordinance and may possibly require a local permit. Contact the local Code Enforcement Officer early in the process to seek advice regarding project design and permitting. For work in a Special Flood Hazard Area, the municipality (generally the Code Enforcement Officer or Planning Board) is responsible for permitting development. The municipality is responsible for knowing where the flood zones are located, permitting development in a flood zone, and building standards for development in a flood zone.

State Officials:

In many cases, state resource agency or regulatory staff are available to visit project sites at no charge and provide a verbal and/or written field determination or advice. Staff can recommend possible solutions, as well as describe which regulations apply and what permits may be necessary for a chosen action.

Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) regional “on call” staff (based in Portland, Augusta, and Bangor) are available to assist property owners in evaluation of erosion issues and navigating the state permitting process. When contacting Maine DEP regarding a shoreline erosion issue, ask to speak with the “on call” person in the Division of Land Resource Regulation.

DEP also provides assistance through the Nonpoint Source (NPS) Training Center, via workshops, various publications, and a video lending library.

The Maine Floodplain Management Program at the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry can offer assistance with identifying if property is in a flood zone, if a municipality participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), and with interpreting federal regulations and building recommendations, such as the Coastal Construction Manual.

The Maine Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) can offer disaster and mitigation assistance.

Federal Officials:

Staff at the US Army Corps of Engineers are available to help property owners navigate the federal permitting process.

Regional staff from the US Fish and Wildlife Service are available to answer questions about endangered species.

Staff from the US Environmental Protection Agency are available to help answer questions about federal regulations and permits.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) can offer technical assistance, insurance assistance, and guidelines for development concerns in coastal flood zones.

>>back to top